One Week Later……

It’s been a bit of a daze of a week.   I can’t believe it’s already been one week.  I’m tired but we’re doing ok!  Josiah is currently a very good baby!  Last night he slept three hours in between his feeds and settled back in his basket in between so although broken up I did actually get 7 hours sleep with going to bed early when he was sleeping so I don’t feel quite such a zombie this morning.

So, how did he arrive here?

Tuesday 11th February 2014

At 7.30 we were dropped off by my Dad at the hospital.  I had one small wheeley case, a bag for baby and two pillows.  It does feel as though you’re moving in for a while with all the stuff you have to take.  I was sent straight to the delivery ward and sat on a bed for the initial tests, urine and blood pressure.  I had a robe to put on and thrombosis socks, Steve had a go but the midwife had to sort me out as he got them upside down!

photo 2 (18) photo 1 (20)

The last bump picture!  Feeling like a heffalump!!  I had to wait till about 10.30 then the midwife came to walk me down to the theatre.  It was strange.  It was the same room that I had Joel delivered in, but the circumstances were so different.  This time everyone was calm.  I wasn’t in agony with contractions.  People were chatting and milling about.  I had to take my knickers off (as I’d not done so earlier, I felt weird sitting around pantless!!) and sit on the table.  I had a canula fitted in my left hand.  I had a local anasthetic in my back then the spinal.  I felt a warm tingle spreading over my legs and they lay me down.  The table tips slightly to the left which I’d not noticed last time.  People weren’t quite ready and I felt a bit sick and strange.  The aneasthetic doctor urged them to get going but I went light headed with a blood pressure drop.  They gave me an oxygen mask but to be honest I felt it hindered my breathing.  I wondered what would happen if I were to vomit!  Where would it all go?  I asked to have the mask taken off and felt better from that point.  Then at 11.27 the first cut was made.  I felt some jiggling pressure and twinging feelings but no pain.  One of the surgeons commented that he was a big baby and suddenly he was out and very grumpy about it.  He was shiny, purple and looked huge from where I was lying!  He filled the weighing scales and had an angry face!!  His checks all went well, he was alert and noisy.  Steve had said he reckoned about 8lbs and I scoffed saying well over 9lbs so was most gratified to hear he was 9lbs 13ozs!!!  I had a valid reason for grumpling about the state of my pelvis aching during the last few weeks!

They dried him off and wrapped him and brought him over to look at me.  I wasn’t able to hold him just then but Steve got to hold him as they sewed me up.  Then we were moved over to the recovery area and Josiah had his first breast feed.  His latch was pretty automatic and we stayed there for a couple of hours having checks done and cuddling and ringing our parents.  Steve and I debated over names.  We’d already settled on James Denham for his middle names and Steve wanted Josiah, so we went with that and already he’s growing into it.  It’s funny how that happens.  We call him Joss for short.

photo 4 (9) photo 3 (17) photo 5 (4)

I was moved over the the ward.  I didn’t get a side room this time but there was only one other lady in the room with me who was discharged early the next morning and then I was on my own!!  Steve popped out to collect Joel to bring him along to meet his brother.

photo 1 (21) photo 2 (19) photo 3 (18) photo 4 (10)

photo 2 (22) P1080153

This is Joel having a quick check that his feet are bigger than Joss’s as he is officially the ‘big brother’!!  We had to check hands too!  Funny what matters to toddlers!

He wasn’t terribly impressed.  I think he’d imagined a toddler who could run and play with him but he liked having his Chuggington present from Josiah.  He is getting horribly spoilt at the moment and currently assumes any present is for him and that he can have anything he wants!

Then once Joel had said hello my parents came along to meet Joss as well and it was all lovely.  Joel got a bit bored, he began wanting to climb up all the beds over the side rails and wanted to run outside so my parents took him away again and I was left to rest and get to know Josiah a bit better.

photo 1 (22) photo 2 (20) photo 3 (19) photo 5 (5)

That first night is something of a daze now.  As Josiah was such a large baby, they had to keep taking his blood sugars to test for gestational diabetes.  I had the regular checks with every midwife appointment and didn’t have any sign of GD, so they weren’t sure what the matter was with Joss and why he was showing signs of it.  Pretty much after a feed his sugar levels dropped worringly low and  every hour they had to prick his heel, take blood and I had visits from the paed doctors who said if it didn’t clear up he’d need a drip and be taken to the special care baby unit.  I was in bits, but luckily things seemed to pick up that evening, but dropped again in the night.  About midnight I had another Dr visit, (and bearing in mind I was exhausted I wasn’t taking anything in properly) but they said to try hand expressing some colostrum.  I have a vague memory of a midwife holding a syringe to my nipple to catch the drips as I had to squeeze them out!  I’ve never felt more like a cow, but we eeked out a tiny bit which would apprently be enough, and he gulped it down and carried on with the breast and then his sugars stabalized.  The next day he was well over the threshold but it was a scary night for me thinking he’d be taken away.

The next morning I had the catheter removed and they sent me in for a shower.  That first stand on your feet after 24 hours of lying is really hard.  I got to the shower and gingerly washed my hair and body as best I could and the nurse came into help me dry and dress.  Then suddenly I felt light headed and told her this.  She sat me on the toilet and pulled a buzzer.  I began feeling worse and could feel a swoon coming on.  I couldn’t really bend over to put my head down and felt panicky that I was going to faint, fall down and tear my stitches or something.  A midwife and Dr arrived and measured my blood pressure which had totally dropped again.  With a cool breeze coming into the bathroom I felt a little better, and they got me back to the bed for another rest.  Feeling like such an invalid is so awful but they were so good.  I have to laugh now at the open door, me sat naked and jiggly on the toilet and not even caring at that moment.

The next day after that (Thursday) I was a lot better and they said I could go home.  I managed to shower again without issue, and felt remarkably fine considering.  I was far more mobile than after my section with Joel, and felt good about things.

photo 2 (21) photo 3 (20) photo 4 (11)

So on the Thursday 13th Feb we were discharged and Steve came to get us.  After walking the distance to the main entrance after having Joel I’d learnt my lesson and had a wheel chair this time, made sure Joss had been fed beforehand and that I’d taken all due pain killers.  This meant that we had a peaceful baby, I wasn’t hurting and we had a nice little journey home where Steve made dinner (potato wedges and heated up casserole!!) and we sat down as a family of four with peace and quiet!  Joss had a feed and went to sleep in his basket before 7pm which meant I could sit and give Joel his bedtime story and some one to one time.  I sat with him and held his hand until he fell asleep then went to bed myself.

That first night Steve was hands on dad.  He got up every time the baby cried and handed him over, did the nappies, made me toast and tea!!  It was great and helped a lot.  The second night was a bit harder to wake him to get up, but he did.  The third night he just wasn’t waking up at all, so I was able to sort the feeding myself but did have to poke him very hard to do the nappy changes.  I don’t think he even remembers that he’s been doing nappies to be honest.  He just staggers about ad brings Joss back to me for a feed and falls asleep again immediately as I sit and feed for an hour!  That’s why he’s gone back to bed this morning, he’s just sooo tired.  I guess women are just better at coping with the disturbed sleep a new baby means.

And now we’re home the next adventure begins.  I’ve had such a lot of support this week.  Steve’s parents came to visit Friday to Monday and sorted meals, entertaining Joel, walking the dog and this week my Mum is sorting Joel and Izzy and meals so I’m being very well looked after which is wonderful.

photo (11)

And here Josiah is at 4 days old!  He’s alert, relaxed and so very cute!  We love him so much and all the pregnancy aches are so worth it.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s